Pages

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Has your role changed in parent child relationship?

As I gain in years I see a sure, subtle change in my role as child with my parents. Earlier I would be the one to ring up my parents to share my problems in life. I would discuss, seek advice, rave and rant at the unfairness of situations and just unload myself. There was comfort in the knowledge that they are there for me come what may. I was a child confident in the assurance that there is some one who will always look out for me. As I grow older and so do my parents I see a shift in our relationship.Now I call up to not to discuss I, me , myself but them. The focus has shifted to to their life. Now I want to know if they are doing well emotionally, physically and financially. I sense their insecurity at not being able to keep pace with fast paced changes in the society-- from changing norms of social relationships to latest technology becoming a part of all our lives. Skype, facebook, twitter, SMS, BBM, mobile phones are social interactive platforms which baffle them. Now I worry when they travel alone. There is a change in me. I feel more responsible for them and don't want to trouble them with my stresses but shield them instead. Now I want them to have comfort in the assurance that I am there for them no matter what. Funny, how our roles evolve in life to ultimately become a giver in not just this relationship but every other one also.That is what growing up means.To care about others.